- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 sweet Italian sausages (4 ½ pounds)
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed, each cut into 8 wedges, fronds chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- one 20-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands, juices reserved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 pequin chiles or 2 chiles de árbol
- Creamy polenta for serving
1. In a large enameled Dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add half of the sausages and cook over medium heat, turning until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sausages.
2. Add the fennel wedges to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds, and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring, until the fennel is slightly browned, about 3 minutes.