Apple Sausage Cider Stew
J&R customer, Samantha Parker, sent in this delicious recipe for Cider Stew using J&R’s grass-fed apple sausage. Samantha suggests serving this with a side of mashed cauliflower. Note: J&R makes over 50 varieties of sausage, many of which would be an excellent companion with this stew!
2 tbs. ghee
10 large J&R apple sausage
2 medium onions
2 medium leeks, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
2 cups of strong cider
2 tbs tomato puree
2 tbs mustard
3 large pinches of mixed savory herbs
2 dried bay leaves
2 large handfuls of parsley, chopped
2 cups bone or vegetable stock
2 rutabagas, peeled and diced
4 large carrots, chopped
sea salt and black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee in large pot over medium heat and brown sausages, then set aside. Do this in two batches so as not to crowd sausages while browning.
2. In the same pot, heat the remaining ghee over medium heat and add the onions, leeks, garlic, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes or more until soft.
3. Pour in the cider to deglaze the pan, turn up the heat and let it bubble away until it reduces. Use a wooden spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and release any carmalized, browned bits.
4. Add the tomato paste, mustard and herbs (except for the fresh parsley) and stir.
5. Add the stock or broth and bring to a boil. Throw in the rest of the vegetables, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Meanwhile, slice each sausage into thirds at an angle and add to the pan for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
7. Add more liquid for a soupier stew or cook without lid for a ticker, richer sauce if preferred.
8. Stir in the parsley leaves to serve.