The Humane Farm Animal Care (HFAC) is an international non-profit organization that developed and regulates humane raised and handled certification. These qualifications must be met for all non-poultry livestock:
- A standard minimum of shelter must be available per head of livestock.
- Efforts must be made to minimize stress through gentle handling techniques.
- Cages, crates and tie-stalls are forbidden.
- Animals must be free to act in natural ways.
- Food safety and environmental rules and regulations must be followed.
- All standards set forth by American Meat Institute (AMI) must be met, which exceed federal standards.
Material excerpt from “Decoding our Food Supply”, Grit Magazine, December 2014